Tuesday, April 08, 2008

First Night Apart, and my New Job

Now, I know, it has been a long time, over a year I believe. I have been busy, dating, getting engaged, and then marrying the love of my life. We have now been married for 5 months, and let me see, 19 days. Just a sneeze compared to some people, but I am wondering how the time has gone by so fast. Tonight will be the first time apart since being married. I know, it will be strange and lonely. At least I have the cat to keep me company. I am so glad this separation is a rare occasion.
With getting married, there are a lot of new things. A new house, and new bed, a new neighborhood with new neighbors. New dishes, a new yard with my very own weeds to rip out. Having my own kitchen, which is mine to conquer and clean. Also, a new job.

NOTE: If you have a weak stomach, I would suggest NOT reading on....

Its hard starting a new job, especially after being at my last one for over six years. There is a sense of comfort and belonging after being somewhere for that long. You understand the flow and routine of your coworkers. There is history of funny, sad and unpleasant experiences to recall. There are customers which you have served time and time again, some which are nice, some which are grumpy and some which brighten your day every time you see them. When things are slow in the pharmacy, sometimes we talk saying, "remember the time" and we laugh, or shudder, depending on the memory.
This week at the new pharmacy has been a momentous one for me. I feel like there has been a break through. I began the job, feeling like an outsider. Not knowing my place, or feeling at ease in my new surroundings, a bit like a fish out of water. I kept telling myself, it takes time, the first two weeks are the hardest. And it is true, over time, I began to feel more and more at home. But this week, well, it will remain in my memory, for better or for worse. Tuesday morning, I am behind the counter when I hear a sort of splatting sound, then crying of a small child. I walk out of the dispensary to discover a mother with her little girl, who has thrown up blueberries, all over herself, her doll and the floor. She is wailing, because her doll is now covered in blue puke. I go, grab paper towel and ask someone to page for a wet clean up. Together we clean up the area, That little girl must have eaten a lot of blueberries. Other customers walk around. I have cleaned up worse, thankfully it is 90% partially digested blueberries.
Saturday. serving a man in a motorized cart. He has a small dog with him, which has jumped off the cart and the man is trying to get him back on. I hear someone say something, like "poo". I come around the counter, and there, right on the carpet in front of the pharmacy is a fair size dark brown poo. Up on the mans cart, there is a second pile. The man gets out a baggy, but can't reach it from his position on his cart. I go and get the paper towel once more. I get a big hand full of papertowel, and pick of the offending pile, and then the second, and place it in the baggy. The smell, by this time has reached my nose and is vile. I have to race back into the pharmacy to prevent myself from loosing my breakfast. I ask, do we have any lysol, or cleaner we can clean the carpet with?? What are the chances, of cleaning dog poo and child puke all in one week, in a grocery store pharmacy?? Well, despite the gross factor, cleaning poo and puke, really make a person feel at home. Perhaps its the length of time I have been there that has been the major contributing factor, but I like to think that the poo and puke had a part. Today as I am at home on a day off, I, for the first time since being at the new pharmacy thought, I am going to kinda miss being at the pharmacy, and visiting with my coworkers. I think it is a good sign.
New things can be scary and difficult to adjust to, but time, and memorable incidents make it all better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home